Have you ever looked at somebody and made a quick assumption about their personality based on the clothes they were wearing? Be honest. We all have, and that is because clothes can usually tell a lot about a person. After all, style is personal.
When you walked out of the house and were reluctantly stopped by your loving father who said you were sending the wrong message, there was a good reason. The clothes you wear can send a signal of the type of spirit you have, whether it be fun-loving, casual, spunky, or a little bit edgy. The clothes you flock to are the ones that make you feel like… well, you! And there’s nothing wrong with that as long as you own who that is and the signal you are sending to the world.
Here are 10 statements your favorite piece may make about you.
1. Little Black Dress – Or anything black really. Wearing this color often leads to a presumption that a person is depressed, emotional and hateful of the world. However to most people, it means quite the opposite. Black is a timeless color and can be worn by people who want to slim down and show their best side. Wearing black with classic pieces, such as dresses or pencil skirts can give a woman a look of refinement and class.
2. Bohemian Beauties – For many women, dressing the same as everyone else lost its appeal a long time ago. Now, more women have taken to a more feminine form of dress that really represents their free spirit. When a woman wears something with bohemian flare, they send a signal to the world that they are confident in their own skin.
3. Lady in Red – This is a color that is frequently worn by people who do not mind being noticed. Red is the color of love and with that love often times comes subtle sex appeal that can give an image of allure. Like a bull to a flag in Spain, eyes are drawn to people who frequently wear this color.
4. Studded Flare – For some ladies, a small bit of flare in the form of studs, whether on a purse, shirt or jacket can really let their edgy side show through. This punky look can draw attention and tell the world that the woman wearing it has a bit of a wild side.
5. Trust in Blue – Banks use blue in their advertising quite frequently, and for good reason. Many fashion consultants also recommend ladies to wear blue to their job interviews or professional events as blue inspires a feeling of calm and trust about a person. If your favorite color to wear is blue, you are likely very approachable and open to meeting new people and making new friends.
6. Preppy Fashion – For some women, wearing a preppy look suits their personality of refinement and dignity. They may give off an air of being more of a closed book, but they also command respect and show that they love to indulge in work and fun equally.
7. Conservative Attire – Ladies, in the retro sense, don’t show too much skin or reveal too much in their outfits. While a conservative style can at times come across as a little old-fashioned, it is also a style that commands respect and shows the world that the woman wearing it respects herself in return.
8. Ray of Sunshine – Yellow is another attention grabbing color. Women who love to wear this color are often brightly spirited and usually enjoy the attention the inevitably received when they put this piece on. It is a color that inspires focus, which is why legal pads are made with this color, and turns heads and conversations toward them whenever they have it on.
9. Blazer Bombshells – Blazers have traditionally been worn in business suits, but are recently making a comeback in a huge way. Now, women put on blazers to show off their classy and professional side making them look more refined even in a casual setting. This chic look gives an air of success about the person wearing it.
10. Pure White – Women who frequently wear white send off the classic subconscious symbol of being pure and pristine. The color of wedding dresses is white for this reason, and the subtle suggestion of pure innocence of this color is not lost in other styles either. It is a fresh color that shows a renewed spirit with an easy-going and care free mind set.
The way you dress certainly does send a signal to the world. Next time you get ready to step out in your favorite piece think about what it is saying about you.
Ferina Santos is part of the team behind Open Colleges, Australia’s provider of outstanding fashion courses. A feisty nerd at heart with an obsession for media and vanity, she captures all her random musings with daily photographs in her blog, APinkBanana. She spends her free time reading and riding with her horses into the sunset.
The following two tabs change content below.
Lindsey Renuard is a blogger, YouTube beauty expert, and the Managing Editor of the Skiatook Journal.