Performance art is something that has always been widely criticized and often misunderstood. It is usually shocking as well.
This performance of Swedish artist Makode Linde at World art day on April 15 at Moderna Museet Stockholm was no exception.
There has been an outcry all over the internet spanning many different countries claiming this installation be racist. Yes. It is racist. It is supposed to be. It is supposed to be showing the horrific things that are being done to aboriginal black women. They are being mutilated!
The purpose of art is to invoke a response from the viewer. I think this piece of performance art has been wildly successful in that respect. There isn't a rule in art that says that the viewer's response should be happy, pretty, politically correct, or likable in any way. You aren't required to LIKE the art you see.
It doesn't make a difference whether the artist is black or white. It doesn't make a difference that a highly ranked political official ate the cake in the instillation.
What matters is that the issue was brought to light. What matters is not holding artists back because their opinion is unpopular, or unpleasant, or down right horrific. This cake is horrific. So is genital mutilation. So is racism.
I don't think there is anything wrong with this performance at all. I think the problem is that this mutilation is done on REAL women. What do you think?
Latest posts by Lindsey (see all)
- Ipsy Glam Bag September 2016 - September 23, 2016
- BOOK REVIEW: Wicked Summer by Roma Brooks - September 21, 2016
- Everything Under $10 – The Best Drugstore Makeup - September 20, 2016
- Modern White Dresses for Your “Must Have” Shopping List Next Month - September 14, 2016
- Achieve Bedtime Bliss: Sleep Trackers That Will Improve Your Slumber - September 13, 2016