by Janet Tharpe
Three cheers for the blackberry! The most summery of berries, this deliciously dark fruit leaves a pretty lavender hue in its wake when used in baking.
Home cook Deneece took full advantage of this tasty berry in her wonderfully moist Blackberry Cake. She creatively incorporates blackberry-flavored wine, pie filling and actual berries in the batter, filling and decorations ensuring a burst of blackberry goodness in every bite!
See step-by-step photos of Deneece’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks around the country at:
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win! Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch”…
“This cake has become well-loved by both family and friends!”
-Deneece Gursky, Miami, FL (pop. 399,457)
Blackberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
1 bx white cake mix
1 bx blackberry fusion jello, (3 oz.)
1 blackberry yogurt, single serving carton
1/2 c oil
1 c blackberry wine (I used Manischewitz)
1 c fresh blackberries
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/2 c blackberry pie filling sweetened whipped cream
1 c fresh blackberries
whipped cream frosting
blackberries to decorate
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-in round cake pans.
• In large bowl mix cake mix and jello. Add eggs and yogurt. Pour in oil and wine.
• Mix on low speed until moistened, then on medium speed until blended.
• Pour batter into prepared pans, then arrange blackberries on top of batter. (Berries will sink to bottom while baking.)
• Bake for 25 to 30 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
• While cakes cool, blend cream cheese and confectioners sugar together then add pie filling. Fold in whipped cream until well blended.
• Invert first layer onto a cake plate – flatside up – and spread cream cheese filling on top. Arrange blackberries on filling. Place second cake on top of first – flat side should be touching cream cheese filling – and push down gently to connect cakes.
• Frost with whipped cream frosting and decorate with remaining blackberries.
Submitted by: Jessica Mills, Dover, DE (pop. 36,047)
© 2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club.
Used by Permission.
Latest posts by Lindsey (see all)
- Finish 5 by Cinco de Mayo Finale | Project Pan - May 4, 2016
- Beauty Basics | Easy contouring | Makeup Basics | How to contour - May 2, 2016
- Weekly Makeup Basket featuring Gwen Stefani palettes - April 29, 2016
- Top 10 Songs to Make You Cry - April 28, 2016
- Empties | Products I’ve Used Up | Makeup and Beauty Empties - April 27, 2016