Simple steps to update and organize
(Family Features) From simple storage solutions that freshen up messy rooms to projects that enliven a space, do-it-yourself options are a popular choice among many homeowners. Try out some of these ideas to make every room in your home feel new again, without having to empty your pocketbook or call a handyman.
Organize Your Work, Living Spaces
In order for personal style to shine, it’s important that your home is organized and clutter free, especially in the rooms where you work, play and relax. Whether it’s the pile of paper in the office or a heap of stuffed animals in the living room — these are the rooms where so much family life takes place, so keeping it clean is essential. Luckily, there are various solutions you can add without the need of a professional, from small space savers to large statement pieces that improve the function and design of a room.
When it comes to your living room, do you long for a space to stash toys, books and all the other random trinkets that pile up? Enjoy the benefits of versatile storage with ClosetMaid’s new Premium Cubes, available exclusively at The Home Depot. With a full back panel, these six- or nine-cube organizers are offered in two distinct looks. Choose the style that complements your décor, from traditional Mahogany to the contemporary styling of Weathered Teak.
Improve your efficiency with the proper tools for the job. The Home Depot Premium Cubes are also a great addition for those who want to add sleek, upscale elements to a work space or office. These stylish storage options offer a professional look and feel and can keep any work environment properly organized.
While many homes are complete with bedroom closets to keep the clutter from view, it’s what’s inside those helpful storage areas that count. When looking for organizational solutions to keep your clothing and accessories tidy, look for those that offer flexibility, such as ClosetMaid’s ShelfTrack®. These wire shelving units are available in kits and open stock, which can be cut to size, with shelves available in a variety of depths and finishes, including options like White and Nickel.
For more ideas for keeping your living spaces orderly, visit www.closetmaid.com.
De-clutter the Kitchen
From spices to coffee filters to cooking oils, those kitchen cabinets have a way of filling up fast, and keeping these culinary tools in order can be a daunting task. Use these five tips to get your pantry and kitchen cabinets in order:
- Empty Each Shelf
Go through each shelf to properly wipe out dust and crumbs, and to sort through outdated food. Before you put the items back on the shelves, clean the base thoroughly and line each one with a non-adhesive shelf liner, such as Duck® brand Smooth Top Easy Liner, which will create a protective, cushioned barrier on your surfaces.
- Survey Food Items
Go through food items and donate or dispose of those you won’t use. Seal boxes for donation with an easy-to-use packaging tape, such as Duck brand EZ Start packaging tape. Its Frustration Free special release technology makes it easy to start with every use and ensures you never lose the tape end.
- Group Similar Items
Move common items together to help you keep track of your inventory. For further organization, sort based on expiration so you can use up food while it’s still fresh.
- Create User-Friendly Spaces
Make your pantry more ergonomic and easier to access by placing commonly used items on eye-level shelves.
- Utilize Organization Tools
Maximize the space in pantry and cabinets with turntables for spices and other storage solutions. Add a pop of personality to these areas with a lining product such as Duck brand Smooth Top Easy Liner, which is available in an assortment of trendy colors and patterns to complement any design.
For other ideas for keeping your kitchen tidy, visit www.duckbrand.com.
Here are a few other ways to enhance the rooms in your home with stylish and useful updates:
- Dim the Lights: Install light dimmers throughout your home for an extra touch of ambiance and improved energy efficiency. The dimming function is especially perfect for living rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms.
- Add a Pop of Color: Perk up a neutral room by giving an old chair, mirror or side table a new paint job. Simply spray your decorative item with quality paint, such as Krylon Dual Superbond Paint + Primer, which sticks to virtually any material, bringing life to your favorite household items. For information, visit www.krylon.com.
- Hang It Up: Add a row of hooks to your walls for extra function. Perfect for use in the bathroom or kitchen for hanging towels or pot holders. A hook installed in an entryway or mudroom is a great spot for keys, jackets and backpacks.
(man and woman photo)
Photo courtesy of Getty Images
Latest posts by Lindsey (see all)
- Skin Care Innovations and Techniques for Flawless Skin - March 24, 2017
- Book Review: What Remains of Me by Alison Gaylin - March 22, 2017
- Boxycharm March 2017 - March 21, 2017
- 5 Smart Cooking Gadgets for Healthier Eating - March 13, 2017
- American Irish Stew - March 10, 2017