It doesn’t get more American than a homemade pie. The combination of a flaky crust and fruity filling topped with a cold scoop of ice cream just can’t be beat, especially when enjoyed outdoors after a backyard cookout.
And if you’re going to have pie, you might as well go whole hog! This Deep Dish Cherry Pie is out of this world! Simplified with three kinds of canned cherries it’s the perfect balance of sweet and sour.
See step-by-step photos of Deborah’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks around the country at:www.justapinch.com/cherrypie
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win! Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch”…
"It is absolutely incredible!"
Allen, TX (84,246)
Deep Dish Cherry Pie
What You Need:
2 1/2 c flour
1 c butter, chilled
1/2 c finely ground pecans
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp honey vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 egg, separated
2 cans dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup
1 can tart cherries, in juice
1 can cherry pie filling
2 tbsp triple sec
1 tbsp almond extract
2 tbsp cornstarch
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour and butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts, orange zest, 1 tbsp vinegar, egg yolk and salt. Add 1 tbsp ice water at a time until dough is firm. Roll/press 2/3 portion of dough to cover bottom & sides of pie plate.
• Pre-bake for 10 min at 425 degrees F. Set aside. Roll top portion into desired shape.
• For the filling, drain sweet cherries and tart cherries, reserving all juice. Add cherries to bowl with pie filling. Stir in triple sec & almond extract. Set aside.
• Reduce sweet cherry syrup to half over med heat. Stir cornstarch into 2 tbsp reserved tart cherry juice and add to reduced syrup. Stir constantly over heat until nicely thickened. Fold in cherry mixture.
• Add filling to pie plate, top with crust. Brush with egg white, especially around edges to seal.
• Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 min, reduce to 350 for remaining 25-30 min. Remove when top crust is golden & filling is bubbly.
Submitted by: Deborah Schmidt
Allen, TX (pop. 84,246)
© 2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club. Used by Permission.