10 Signs You Should Unfriend Someone on Facebook

June 13, 2011

in Lifestyle

*Please note that all of these status updates came from my Facebook Newsfeed. If you recognize yourself even though I blacked out your name, I may have already unfriended you.

10. They message you for chat every time you log into Facebook. Stalk much?

9. They are your parents. Ok, some of us have really cool parents, but when you are an adult and your mom starts calling you to tell you something you posted on Facebook is inappropriate, it may be time to unfriend her. Unless it was inappropriate in which case you should be glad you have a mom who is trying to keep you from embarassing yourself. Case in point, check out Oh Crap, My Parents Joined Facebook.

8. He's your ex. I fully believe that people can, years later, be friends with an ex. However, if you are just checking to see if his life turned out as miserable as you hoped, or worse, you find things are quite the opposite – time to unfriend.

7. You were broken up with through a relationship status update. Ouch.

6. She thinks that everything about her new baby should be documented. EVERYTHING. Not just the cute stuff.

5. Status updates that are nothing but whining and complaining.

4. They are in loooooooooooove.

3. Drunk facebooking. With photos.

2. Negative comments on all of your status updates.

1. Justin Bieber.

Friend me on Facebook!

{ 8 comments }

Six June 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Love it, but not too much. I mean I don't want to be too negative here & sound like a baby who has Bieber Fever ; )

StephanieinSuburbia June 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Can we add people who mourn dead people online? I am continually traumatized by the number of people who announce deaths and then spend weeks going "miss you, mom" or something. It's just off-putting.
I also dislike the "is she potentially talking about me" post where someone you haven't talked to for awhile is like "I hate when people ignore facebook messages" or you've had a conversation and someone is like 'had an unsettling conversation that really got me thinking." Am I just vain, or are these statuses about me?

MamaSpaghetti June 15, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Haha.  These are all spot on.  Though, for me #4 is the absolute worst!  Seriously, we don't need to know how much he loves you every ten seconds.  I guess de-friending would be the online equivalent to saying, "Get a room!"

B.J. July 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I agree about the mourning of a dead person kind of off putting. :-/

You should have also included someone who updates their status with every single little thing their doing…"just had a hot shower…time for coffee!"  "got to work" …."lunch time!"…."will this day ever end?" etc.
Great stuff though! Love that parents joined FB site!

Victoria January 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm

LOL… I would include those who swear often in their posts with all that complaining they do about their problems being everyone else's fault.  Found you through #FBF on Chasing Joy.

Mental Mosaic January 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm

The constantly wanting to chat thing gets to me, because I swear FB says I'm online when I'm not (maybe because of my iPhone?)
Anyway… I can be off FB all day, then pop on and a bunch of missed chats will pop up and some people think I was snubbing them – which I wouldn't do, but – agh – I work from home. I can't be chatting on facebook all day.
Hehe – pardon the rant! Guess you hit a nerve!
~Tui, dropped by from #FBF

Randa January 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

Haha. Very true!

Susan Silver January 21, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Great commentary. I am still never comfortable unfriending anyone. I think that is because I use Facebook so rarely. I no longer post status updates, just participate in a few groups. This did give me a good laugh and I will be sharing it.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: