10 Types of People on Facebook

January 25, 2012

in Lifestyle

If you have spent any time on Facebook, you know that it isn't that much different from The Breakfast Club. Stereotypes abound. I'm sure you have some of these types of people as your Facebook friends. You may even BE one of these people. You may need to unfriend some of these people.

1. The Lurker – This person never posts anything. Never likes anything. Never comments on anything. However, in casual conversation they will mention, "Oh yeah, I saw you had posted that on Facebook." You know they are there, but they leave no trace evidence.

2. The Stalker – The stalker is not that much different from the lurker. You know they are there. You know they read EVERYTHING you post. They may even mention it to others in face-to-face conversations. They look at all your photos. They look up people tagged in your photos. They may even send you chat messages or post on your wall – a lot. As with stalkers in real life, the Facebook stalker must be gotten rid of. Stalking is a crime out here in the real world. My suggestion – block them.

3. The Hijacker – Have you ever posted something on Facebook only to find that the thread has been taken over by someone else? They may just take over the conversation or they may change the subject entirely. They may even steal your status and post it as their own. Your status was hijacked. If it keeps happening, unfriend them or block them.

4. The Attention Seeker – The attention seeker posts cryptic comments like, "I told you so, you know who you are," in the hopes that people will fall into their trap and ask what happened.They never do tell the rest of the story. Other posts that fall into this category are those that post if you are my friend you will repost this posts. I even saw one yesterday that blatantly said, "I'm having a bad day. Like this post to make me feel better!"

5. The Promoter – This Facebooker only posts links to his/her blog, or invites you to every concert, or only posts about Mary Kay or Scentsy or For Ladies Only. I don't mind shameless self-promotion, but use a fan page for that, not your personal profile. By the way, you should like the Dishwater Dreams Facebook page!

6. The gamer – Tends virtual crops, belongs to the virtual mafia, and answers surveys like how are you going to die or which Twilight character are you. Facebook games are fun, but everything in moderation. When my news feed is full of nothing but posts from one person about one game, it gets annoying.

7. The preacher – This optimist only posts inspirational quotes or anything related to God. I love God. He is totally awesome. I love inspirational quotes too. Just don't make it the only think your Facebook account is about. Or, get a fan page.

8. The Drunk – While great for entertainment late at night, or in some extreme cases by 10am, the drunk only posts when they have had one too many. Posts often need a cypher to understand and can be very angry. It is suggested that you advise your friend against drunk Facebooking. If you ARE the drunk I highly recommend quitting. Drinking. Not Facebooking. Or don't drink and Facebook. Then you don't have to wake up and try to delete drunken posts all your friends already saw anyway.

9. The Whiner – Every post is about how horrible their life is. How much it hurts or sucks to be them. They post cryptic comments like, "I told you, you know who you are," in the hopes that people will fall into their trap and ask what happened. They also tend to over share personal details. I don't need to know about your bathroom habits. However, if you live in a duplex and your neighbor farted so loud it scared your cat, then post away. (Yes, that was an actual status update.)

10. The Poor Grammarian – This is the person who spells so badly that you want to ask how on Earth they can not write simple sentences in their native language. Punctuation is ignored or abused. Even if you are using a smart phone to post to Facebook, they have spell check! They have auto correct. They have qwerty keyboards. At least TRY to spell correctly! Please. For me?

Which type of facebooker are you?

{ 11 comments }

Kim @ CoffeePotChronicles January 25, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I fall somewhere between the stalker, the whiner, and the attention seeker. It depends on my mood. I try to not be any of them but what can I say? I have no life. LOL At least I like this blog on FB! =)

jill January 25, 2012 at 10:13 pm

This is making me feel so incredibly happy that Facebook (and texting) didn't exist back in my drunken college days. I can't even imagine the horror of waking up and having to figure out what the hell I had written.  Gah!  I can scarcely even contemplate it!

Amanda Sachs January 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Gave me a giggle! Tweeting!

WilyGuy January 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Great Post! I love lists. I go from normal to 5 depending on the day.
i hate the 4s like I hate people who can't figure out how to remove the "forward this now to 10 friends and great things will happen…or you will die" from the end of chain emails.  I also hate the person who listens to music on YouTube and must share every song along the way.

WG
<a href="http://itsmynd.com">http://itsmynd.com</a>&nbsp;

Jessica, The Debt Princess January 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Ok I've got to tell you how crazy this is…I'm looking at this post but haven't yet read it (first time here) and I'm watching tv. The News just did a quick commercial about a piece they are doing tomorrow about the type of Facebook person you are. Seriously. They mentioned "lurker" and "hyena."
Crazy.

Sarah/USAlovelist January 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

Ahhh… it is #1, The Lurkers, that really bug me.  It happens to me all the time.  I really try to post a status update almost every day to give my far flung friends and family an accurate snapshot of my life. Because if I don’t, if I only post when I’m doing something fabulous, or when I want to hawk girl scout cookies, or when I need some support, then I risk falling into some of those other categories.  Some days, it is hard to come up with something interesting to say, but it is also surprising what mundane sentiments will strike a chord and generate a flood of responses.  But back to the lurkers… it is one thing to lurk on blogs of strangers who put their posts out to the public, but when my own friends hungrily consume my “content” of my life without sharing anything of theirs, that’s jut gross.  A simple thumbs up once in a while is all I ask! ;^)

Elizabeth February 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I feel i am the poster. I like to share news, funny pictures, quotes.. What type is that? #commenthour. oh maybe a little stalkerish also ;)

Mental Mosaic February 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Haha – Oh my… I can think of examples of all of these in my friends…
As for me, I try to have good FB netiquette. When life gets hectic, I turn into a Lurker, alas!
~Tui, from #commenthour

Pepper February 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Like ;-)

Nicole Rivera February 2, 2012 at 9:51 am

I'm guessing, these days, I'm probably coming off as more of a promoter.
However, I actually did have a long stint as a Whiner when I was on medical leave from work – it was much easier to update my health status on FB, than call everyone individually each time I went to another specialist! :P

Sarah February 3, 2012 at 12:50 am

I love that as I was reading this post I had friends instantly come to mind for each category. I'll have to ask my friends which they think I belong to, but I don't think (or hope) any particularly fit. If anything I'm a mix between the promoter and the attention seeker. As the previous poster said, I'm def a poster. I love sharing finds and ideas and interesting news articles.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: